Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Airfix 1/24th scale Spitfire review or build report?!
Europeanmodeller Forums > Chat > General Discussion
Patrick Sprau
Hi all,

can anyone point me in the direction of a good (p)review or build report of Airfix' 1/24th scale Spitfire Mk. Vb kit (Mk. I also good, but Mk. V preferably)? I've searched the net high and low (LSP, HS, BM, google), but no luck!
There must be some article out there...

TIA,

Patrick Sprau
The Penguin
QUOTE (Patrick Sprau @ Jul 13 2008, 09:36 AM) *
Hi all,

can anyone point me in the direction of a good (p)review or build report of Airfix' 1/24th scale Spitfire Mk. Vb kit (Mk. I also good, but Mk. V preferably)? I've searched the net high and low (LSP, HS, BM, google), but no luck!
There must be some article out there...

TIA,

Patrick Sprau

There was quite an involved build article/ review in SAM some years back. I'll dig it out when I have time. Meantime, here's a review/ build article on the Mk.Ia, which is essentially the same kit (in fact, all the Spit Ia parts are included in the Mk.Vb box):

http://www.largescaleplanes.com/articles/J.../big_spits.html

and here's a forum thread on converting the MkIa to a Mk.IX:

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=9319

which contains much of use when considering the Mk.Vb.

Here's quite an involved build article on the Mk.1a:

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Fea1...oruzzi/00a.shtm

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Fea1...oruzzi/00b.shtm

much of which, again, is relevant to the Mk.Vb.

There was a GB on Airfix Superkits on the UAMF a few months ago - several people built Spitfires. These threads, therefore, should be of use:

http://gregers.7.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=5677

http://gregers.7.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=7092

http://gregers.7.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=5654

http://gregers.7.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=5657

The last of these is effectively an extended build article on the Mk.Vb, so is of particular use.

The problem with finding reviews of the Airfix 1/24 Spitfires on the web is, I think, that the original Mk.Ia dates from 1970, long before the web was even thought of, and that Trumpeter now do a Mk.Vb, which is widely regarded as rather better than the Airfix kit (an opinion with which I am not sure I totally agree), and thus the subject of rather more reviews.

Cheers,

Chris.
Model_Maker
I built the Airfix 1/24 MK 1 Spitfire when I was a kid of about 12 when it was first released, my friend of the time built one as well, we both used the same prop motors that were available at the time ... it was like a challenge between us to see who could do it best, I do remember mine was better ... hey I painted the engine and cockpit interior and even hand painted the canopy framework, my friend just built his and then painted the exterior only ... I must have been fussy, even back then, because I built one more soon after and made a much better job ... I've built all Airfix 1/24 Aircraft kits at one point in my life since then and look fwd to the Mossie, even if its for completism and nostalgia sake.

Some good links there from Chris.

Looking back on the series, I thought the FW190 and Hurricane 1/24 Superkits were the best detailed ... Airfix had dropped the retractable undercarriage and prop motor gimmicks by then, not sure how the Airfix Hurricane shapes up to the current Trumpeter Hurricane? both factorys are known for howling errors as well as good points, but in my blissful ignorance I sure enjoyed building the Airfix 1/24 Superkits as I grew older, they were fun builds, its for this reason alone that I will definitely buy the forthcoming 1/24 Mosquito.

Enjoy your Spitfire build smile.gif
Piet van Wyk De Vries
The Airfix Spitfire is not to be confused with the quality of their 1/24 Hurricane, which is a very nice kit, but in almost all respects inferior to the Trumpeter. But it is not as bad as their 1/24 Fw190, which ranks as one of the worst kits ever boxed and sold. Only buy it if you hate yourself and need punishment. The Spit is sort of in between. It's OK. Detail is very soft , especially the cockpit and undercaraige(where the detail is non existent). Fit is quite bad, but not as bad as the 190. It's not a fun build by today's standards. Buy the Trumpeter Spit Vb, you will like yourself a lot more.

If you already have the airfix, give it to someone you dont like, and buy yourself the trumpeter.

Airfix is one of those companies who did ok way back when modelers did not expect so much, most were kids who did not know any better, and detail was the domain of weirdos. But there is a reason they went out of business in the new century, it is because they suck. Even the nicest of the 1/24 range, the 109 Emil, is a scale disaster, being some kind of consertinaing cartoon scale thing, which only looks good as a 109 if displayed seperately away from any other model.

Here is my build of the VB
http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.ph...ic=7063&hl=
The Penguin
QUOTE (Model_Maker @ Jul 14 2008, 04:09 PM) *
Looking back on the series, I thought the FW190 and Hurricane 1/24 Superkits were the best detailed ... Airfix had dropped the retractable undercarriage and prop motor gimmicks by then, not sure how the Airfix Hurricane shapes up to the current Trumpeter Hurricane?

The Airfix Hurricane

http://modelingmadness.com/reviews/allies/gb/dixonhurri.htm

is far superior to the Trumpeter job in practically every department. Even the decals are better - check out the lovely bright roundels and the white squadron codes on the Trumpeter sheet here:

http://www.hyperscale.com/reviews/kits/ima...reviewbg_m3.jpg

and the work of the Trumpeter mad riveter here:

http://www.hyperscale.com/2007/reviews/kit...eviewbg_s20.jpg

Most people regard it as Airfix's best 1/24 kit. Not so much the FW.190, which has a nunber of significant inaccuracies, not least of which are the way the crankcase sticks out the front of the cowling, and the over-long main u/c legs. This latter comes from Airfix having used the FW.190 that, at the time at least, hung from the ceiling in the Deutches Museum in Munich as their main reference. They measured the legs with the oleos extended...

And I think the reason why Airfix went out of business in 2006 has rather more to do with two decades of complacent management than simply poor quality product (though that, admittedly, didn't help, and the latter was a factor of the former). Many Airfix kits are quite good, and some are exceptional. And there are plenty of manufacturers who make Airfix look good, but are still in business, while Accurate Miniatures, arguably the best-ever kit manufacturer, went down the tubes at a rate of knots!

Cheers,

Chris.
Model_Maker
LOL ... I like your style, Piet smile.gif I don't remember any difficulty building the Airfix FW190 when it was released, but then again I was at a stage in my life where this was but a mere quick build side show to my main passion back then of Motorcycling ... I'd not have thought of using half the skills we use today ... perhaps I'm looking back on it with rose tinted glasses?

The Hurricane I do remember was a thrill to build and also a detail level jump from the previous Airfix 1/24 Super kits ... Did the FW190 not come after the Hurricane? Looking back I honestly cant remember now ... age is taking its toll smile.gif

Airfix is one of those companies who did ok way back when modelers did not expect so much, most were kids who did not know any better, and detail was the domain of weirdos. But there is a reason they went out of business in the new century, it is because they suck. Even the nicest of the 1/24 range, the 109 Emil, is a scale disaster, being some kind of consertinaing cartoon scale thing, which only looks good as a 109 if displayed seperately away from any other model.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head there, I built the Emil, this came after the Spitfire as I recall (then it was the Mustang) but remember nothing of its accuracy of outline back then (mind you I was not even a teen) it looked like an ME109 to me, all I can remember is trying to get the engine cowling to fit ... could not do it, though I can think of many ways I could manage now though smile.gif

Ahhh, those were the days, blissfully ignorant and happy as a pig in sh*t smile.gif
Model_Maker
QUOTE (The Penguin @ Jul 14 2008, 05:30 PM) *
The Airfix Hurricane is far superior to the Trumpeter job in practically every department. Even the decals are better - check out the lovely bright roundels and the white squadron codes on the Trumpeter sheet here:

http://www.hyperscale.com/reviews/kits/ima...reviewbg_m3.jpg

and the work of the Trumpeter mad riveter here:

http://www.hyperscale.com/2007/reviews/kit...eviewbg_s20.jpg

Most people regard it as Airfix's best 1/24 kit. Not so much the FW.190, which has a nunber of significant inaccuracies, not least of which are the way the crankcase sticks out the front of the cowling, and the over-long main u/c legs. This latter comes from Airfix having used the FW.190 that, at the time at least, hung from the ceiling in the Deutches Museum in Munich as their main reference. They measured the legs with the oleos extended...

Cheers,

Chris.

Thanks Chris, without getting into an Airfix battle again, I do respect your opinion on Scale Modelling, should I ever decide to build another 1/24 Hurricane I'll go back to Airfix, dunno why? but it seems natural to assume more modern kits like the Trumpeter Hurricane should be much better.

Cheers mate.
Patrick Sprau
Thank you all for contributing to the thread.

Chris, thank you very much for the numerous links you posted, they are most helpful to my query.

The reason I started thinking about comparing the Airfix with the Trumpeter product was that just recently someone who knows a fair bit about Spitfires told me that regarding Spitfire kits, Trumpeter was the worst offender ever! Considering that back in the day of the Trumpeter release, Bob Swaddling (who helps keeping a real Spitfire airworthy) wrote a glowing review in FSM about the Trumpeter Spitfire, these almost opposed views on the kit are astonishing, to say the least!

Well, if an Airfix kit floats my way on a bargain price, I might just as well pick it up... tongue.gif

Thanks again, folks, most interesting to read your opinions,

Patrick Sprau
Model_Maker
Great thread .... with lots of interest, tell you what Admin ... I'd like to see an Airfix 1/24 nostalgia Airfix Aircraft group build .... I'm serious

if we don't do it, another site eventually will.

Cheers.
The Penguin
QUOTE (Patrick Sprau @ Jul 15 2008, 01:26 AM) *
Thank you all for contributing to the thread.

Chris, thank you very much for the numerous links you posted, they are most helpful to my query.

The reason I started thinking about comparing the Airfix with the Trumpeter product was that just recently someone who knows a fair bit about Spitfires told me that regarding Spitfire kits, Trumpeter was the worst offender ever! Considering that back in the day of the Trumpeter release, Bob Swaddling (who helps keeping a real Spitfire airworthy) wrote a glowing review in FSM about the Trumpeter Spitfire, these almost opposed views on the kit are astonishing, to say the least!

Well, if an Airfix kit floats my way on a bargain price, I might just as well pick it up... tongue.gif

Thanks again, folks, most interesting to read your opinions,

Patrick Sprau

No worries, Patrick. Unlike their Hurricanes and P-51Ds, the Trumpeter Spitfires are pretty good. They need their seats replacing, and usually aftermarket decals, but as a starting point for a 1/24 Spit Vb, and although neither kit is by any means perfect, I'd choose the Trumpeter kit over the Airfix any time.

This is not to say that the Airfix kit is bad - it's a creature of its time, when the target market (13-year-old boys like myself when I got one for Christmas 1970) cared more about working parts (undercarriage! removable engine and gun panels! sliding canopy!) and big, easy-to-paint pilot figures than they did about scale accuracy. Also, remember that, in terms of things like engine and cockpit detail - even the quality of moulding of the pilot figure - it was a quantum leap ahead of pretty much anything that had gone before. Proper rubber tyres, engraved surface detail and full-colour profiles on the cover of the instruction booklet - indeed, instruction booklets at all - were rare indeed in 1970.

So what if the u/c wells weren't boxed in? They weren't boxed in on any other Airfix kit of the era! It's simply that the target market, and the things we look for in plastic scale model kits, have moved on.

And MM - they did an Airfix Superkits GB on the Unofficial Airfix Modellers' Forum at the end of last year/ beginning of this year.

http://gregers.7.forumer.com/viewforum.php...5d3ecc6f52cee29

But if we wanted to do one here, starting, say, in a month or so's time, I'd be in with a Ju.87!

Cheers,

Chris.
Jay Laverty
I think an AX GB is a great idea, and I reckon it would be a goer for sure. I think there are several on the go at the moment, so once the first one finishes on the 31st I don't see why we couldn't add some more in.

I think I would be in with a Stuka as well.

Cheers,

Jay
Model_Maker
I'd be happy to join in with a Superkit 1/24 build in the future, still mostly too busy with the house to settle down with modelling the way I aim to, but later in the year I'll definitely be up for it ... when is the Mosquito due out again? if not that I'd do the Hurricane once more if I could find one on Ebay or maybe the Spitfire.
Adrian
I will set that up next week Jay so it can start Aug 1st.
Will give me an excuse to do the Harrier FRS1 that I got cheap many moons back.
Can't do the 109 as I have promised that to Jim so he will no doubt enter with that one for sure rolleyes.gif

Will be a ltd entry GB but very Nostalgic as you point out MM.

For some I might add a late entry 'permit' with the Mossie if someone gets 1? unsure.gif

Adrian
027.gif
Model_Maker
How long do the group builds run for, Adrian? I know I cant commit to anything like this until later in the year ... but don't let me hold you guys back smile.gif

Ideally I'll go out on a limb and do the Mosquito, depending on timing, after that I'd choose the Hurricane or maybe Spitfire.

I'll go with the flow, though and find time for this build.

Should be fun.

PS... maybe an idea to include some of Trumpeters 1/24 kits to broaden the horizon, or maybe any other 1/24 Aircraft kits.

Adrian
QUOTE (Model_Maker @ Jul 19 2008, 08:32 PM) *
How long do the group builds run for, Adrian?

PS... maybe an idea to include some of Trumpeters 1/24 kits to broaden the horizon, or maybe any other 1/24 Aircraft kits.

Hi MM,
Usually about 6 mths
Gives everyone time to do more than 1 GB if they want and for you you could sneek in with the Mossie!

Re adding Trumpeter or any 1:24 will give that some though MMt.

Cheers
Adrian
027.gif
The Penguin
Like I said, I'm in with the Stuka, but not until the beginning of September. I'm just finishing a Hobbyboss 1/72 Leopold 280mm raliway gun, and it's been hard work. I need some light relief!

Cheers,

Chris.
Model_Maker
Just a suggestion .... I'm all for the Euromodeler 1/24 group build, cant we wait for the Airfix 1/24 Mosquito to hit the shelfs first?

Whatever I build it will be pretty much OOTB.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.