> Harrier GR3 Airfix 1/24, in progress - 7 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
OfflineRed Dog
post Tue 5th Aug 2008
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 145

Hello gents,

This is an Airfix 1/24 GR1 original boxing that I will try to convert to a GR3. This model is almost as old as I, so I'll treat it with utmost respect smile.gif
I usualy don't start a new model before having finished the previous one but since I'm on holiday and have no access to an airbrush, I concentrate on dirty sanding, filling tasks as well as detailling and doing some PE.

First task is to fill all those nasty rivets. I tried different filler such as tamiya Putty, two component, Mr Surfacer 500 and Green squadron putty.
My choice will finally be the last one, as it's easy to sand away, dry fast and provide a good contrats between the plastic and the filler.
Most of the work is done on the fuselages, tail, gear doors, wingtips etc etc.

Here's a closup of the nose: It really is necessary to go over this daunting task

As I said, this is a GR1 and I even don't have the laser nose and PWR fairing, so I sourced some resin and PE plug.

Flightpath GR3 huge kit, the second BLU and loader, the heritage resin cockpit and the heritage intakes.
The guys and gals at flightpath were also very kind to provide me a laser nose, and I got part of the PWR fairing and an extra nose from a fellow on ARC a while back (many thanks)
I wrote Airfix and they agreed to sell me the new decal sheet from they reissued GR3

Here's a nice project for the holidays ... yeah I know it will take me up to Xmas to complete this big boy
At this stage I plan on doing a 1st sqd bird on deployment to Norway with the white paint covering the green. If you guys have any reference for those schemes I'd be happy to get them, I only have a few pictures

--------------------
+Quote Post
OfflineJP31
post Tue 5th Aug 2008
Post #2

Group: Retailer Member
Member No.: 198
My Gallery

hey Red dog
it looks you like challenges, have fun with that model
i have it also somewhere, started also with filling the rivets, buts its now used as a isolation box with the others
greets
JP

--------------------
+Quote Post
OfflineFrederick Jacobs
post Tue 5th Aug 2008
Post #3

the never ending builder

Member No.: 14
My Gallery

cool buddy looking forward seeing how you tackle this one cool.gif

as for the build itself may I suggest you look in to this one right here

A great build maybe you can use some stuff from it

Greetz STB
Frederick Jacobs

--------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
+Quote Post
OfflineRed Dog
post Tue 5th Aug 2008
Post #4

Jp,
I have been looking at that one for a while now, Willing to start it but being put away by the rivet work. Now, being far from an airbrush and 15 days available, I have a real good opportunity to do it right

Fred,
I have been following Jake's build with interest. Definitely some useful stuff there, his work his much better than anything I can do, so I learned a lot from there.
I'm not too familiar with the difference between the Sea harrier and the GR3, as I concentrated my sources on the GR3 but obviously some stuff are quite close.

I'm tempted not to install the pegasus engine but just the fan and close the nozzle opening. that would avoid the alignement problems I read about the kit. And since I won't open the panels, there's no real point of installing the engine into its bay.

Not much to show in the coming days, I'm filling, sanding, priming, regraving, rerivetting. Not final passes but at least something enough to help me when I assemble the bird. It's not my first 1:24 but this one is quite huge to handle

--------------------
+Quote Post
OfflineAlan Troi
post Tue 5th Aug 2008
Post #5

Europeanmodeller Staff
Group Icon

Group: SAM Contributing Team
Member No.: 3
My Gallery

Hej Red Dog... that is a great start to a great aircraft! I will be watching this build very closely!
Cheers and happy modelling mate!
Alan....... big Harrier fan!

--------------------
Model on men! And if you are not into 1/32 scale - you should be!
+Quote Post
OfflineJames Ashton
post Tue 5th Aug 2008
Post #6

Mad for It
Group Icon

Member No.: 84
My Gallery

Awesome project mate, I look forward to seeing the progress on this one.

Cheers

James
+Quote Post
Offlinebcauchi
post Wed 6th Aug 2008
Post #7

Member No.: 102

Great project and looking so promising. It will be great to follow this build, not a normal subject.
+Quote Post
OfflineAdrian
post Wed 6th Aug 2008
Post #8

Europeanmodeller Staff

Member No.: 12
My Gallery

Only repositioned my kit in the upper house storage area wacko.gif

The one Fred linked to seemed insane but very good.
Will watch this one closely RD. Good Luck.

Now who's for a 1:24th GB? Any Subject?

Adrian
027.gif
+Quote Post
OfflineRed Dog
post Wed 6th Aug 2008
Post #9

Fuselage is complete but nothing worth showing sad.gif
I might join the RAF GB unsure.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
OfflineAdrian
post Wed 6th Aug 2008
Post #10

Europeanmodeller Staff

Member No.: 12
My Gallery

QUOTE (Red Dog @ Aug 6 2008, 09:36 PM) *
I might join the RAF GB unsure.gif

Plenty of time for the GB and your planned build time then RD. rolleyes.gif

Adrian
027.gif
+Quote Post
OfflineRed Dog
post Thu 7th Aug 2008
Post #11

here are the first dry fits.
The resin cockpit and the intakes have been cut and it's always a great motivation to dry fits the parts all together (thanks Bluetack) to see some aircraft shapes
I almost cut the extra resin on the nose, but finally decided against it and hollow the nose a bit so the recess enter the fuselage and makes a solid joint.

The intakes are a great addition and they fit nice. They weill save me a lot of time on those gravity doors.
I Still have to find out what's best to do on the inside as some parts are missing from the Airfix kits, if you guys have any suggestion. Anyone know how's it done on 1/48 kits? Mainly the area behind the pilot up to the turbine fans? I have found some "how to" thread progress on some SHAR on largescaleplane, I'll study that as well

I haven't decided yet which cockpit I'll use. PE or resin or a mix of the two? I'll probably make both and decide along the way. I never used only PE, always thought it was too fragile, but that Flightpath set looks great

Should start soon on the pit to break the filling & sanding

--------------------
+Quote Post
Offlinebcauchi
post Fri 8th Aug 2008
Post #12

Member No.: 102

Great stuff man. this is looking really nice.
+Quote Post
OfflineJay Laverty
post Sat 9th Aug 2008
Post #13

Administrator

Group: The Guvnor
Member No.: 1
My Gallery

I agree with Brian, this is coming along very nicely. I'll be interested to see how you get on with the cockpits. I wonder if combining the best elements of them together might may an "uber" cockpit?

Cheers mate,

Jay

--------------------

Capitalism is Man Exploiting Man; Communism is just the opposite
+Quote Post
OfflineAlan Troi
post Sat 9th Aug 2008
Post #14

Europeanmodeller Staff
Group Icon

Member No.: 3
My Gallery

This is turning out to be a pretty nice build... I must admit though that the different versions of the Harrier still confuse me though!! But I do love 'em!
Cheers
Alan

--------------------
Model on men! And if you are not into 1/32 scale - you should be!
+Quote Post
OfflineRed Dog
post Sat 9th Aug 2008
Post #15

I need some help for checking a part, I do have the GR1 kit and the tail I have is the one without the PWR fairing facing forward on top of the fin.
I know the latest GR3 and SHAR release from airfix have this part molded on their tail fin.
I do have a PE part apparently to make this but it seem so huge when I fit it on the tail.
Can anyone check the dimension of the top PWR fairing, one of you guys with a little bit of time, willing to open the box and check the tail for me?

Many thanks

--------------------
+Quote Post
OfflineRed Dog
post Sun 10th Aug 2008
Post #16

Here's a picture
The PE part seem way too big to me, what do you guys think?

--------------------
+Quote Post
OfflineJay Laverty
post Sun 10th Aug 2008
Post #17

Administrator

Group: The Guvnor
Member No.: 1
My Gallery

I don't know about the exact dimensions but I agree with you 100% that those etchy bits are way oversized.

I found a page with a couple of images and it looks to me like the etchy bit has no hope of replicating the PWR fairing, unless you added a couple of folds, top and bottom on each side, if you know what I mean. This actually could fix the dimensions problem with it, as a couple of folds would make it not as tall.

Here is the site:

GR.3's n' stuff

Cheers mate,

Jay

--------------------

Capitalism is Man Exploiting Man; Communism is just the opposite
+Quote Post
OfflineRed Dog
post Sun 10th Aug 2008
Post #18

Thanks Jay

The only drawings I have are from the Modeller's datafile Issue 11 for the Sea Harrier.
The 1/48 drawing show the fairing at 4.8mm which would be 9.6mm for 1/24. The PE fairing is 11.46mm thus almost 2mm too large. That's almost 5cm realsize.

I also read that the tail fin was hightened a bit when the Ferranti Nose was fit, that may also increase the feeling since I doubt my GR1 tail is high enough.
It would be interesting to see if the GR3 boxing have a higher tail fin

--------------------
+Quote Post
OfflineRed Dog
post Tue 12th Aug 2008
Post #19

First mischap on this one.
I tried to replicate the fairing in plasticard and I made the mistake of filling it with putty (I should know better)
Overnight, the putty dissolved the plastic and in the morning the new fairing and part of the leading edge of the fin were damaged.
Scrapped everything clean for the second attempt smile.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
OfflineRed Dog
post Wed 13th Aug 2008
Post #20

Second attemp was made following Jay's advice, that is cutting the PE part to a smaller fairing and it worked better
I detailled the tail with some nuts and extra plates and the trim tab actuator which is still a bit too large.
I'll probably fill the rudder hinges as I feel they are too large as well. I have some PE parts to place there but no idea on how to mount them as the flightpath instructions are quite unclear on that one (they even don't look like the drawing in the instructions)

Almost ready for priming but I will work on the main wing first.

--------------------
+Quote Post
7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic [1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users]
0 Members:
RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: Thu 23rd Oct 2014
Skin created by No1 1000 / Sublime Development